Thursday, August 17, 2023

Harbstlid by Beyle Schaechter Gottesman

Harbstlid, or Autumn Song, was written by Beyle Schaechter Gottseman.    

It is a poem about aging and it resonates for me as I post it now now in August, 2023. Here are three versions:


1. Harbstlid Sung by Di Schechter Techter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZ-kKN610I

Words & Melody: Beyle Schaechter-Gottesman (1920-2013) Musical arrangement and Piano accompaniment: Binyumen Schaechter, Musical Director Performed with an English refrain interwoven. Back-up vocals: Binyumen Schaechter, Musical Director 2. This one was recorded live on April 28, 2013 in Pittsburgh, PA at the 15th Conference of the International Association of Yiddish Clubs / IAYC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybctXd20_tk

it has English subtitles.

Harbstlid is a poem about aging and it resonates for me as I post it now now in August, 2023.  


3.  Harbstlid Sung by Daniel Kahn:

https://genius.com/Daniel-kahn-harbstlid-lyrics

Ze s’iz harbst, Un vos gegrint fargelt, farvyanet
Ze s’iz harbst, Un vos geblit fargeyt

Un ikh vos kh'hob gemeynt S’iz shtendik friling
Un kh'halt in hant Di gantse eybikeyt

Oho, falndike bleter! Oho, fliyendike teg!
Oho, vi vel ikh itster blondzhen
Ven s’ligt gedikhter nepl Af mayn veg

Krakn feygl, zogn troyerik: Krekhst in fentster

Un se klogt der vint

„o, vi volt ikh itst avek fun danen
Tsun a breg Vu nokh der friling grint...“

Flit der regn - A galop af vildn ferdl

Roymt mir ayn a sod: Er hot mikh holt

„tsu vos-zhe darftsu Vartn afn friling
Az s’hot der osyen fule koyshns gold.“


English:  A rather loose and very incomplete  translation. 

Autumn’s here
And what was green is gold & withered
Autumn's here, the summer's at an end
I thought somehow that it would last forever
I thought I held forever in my hand

Oh, all the leaves are falling
Oh, the summer days are gone
Oh, the fog is in the valley
So how am I to know the road I’m on?

Birds are headed south outside my window
And the wind lets out a high & lonesome sigh
It whispers how it wishes it were somewhere
Far away where summer fills the sky

Oh, all the leaves are falling
Oh, the days all slip away
Oh, the fog is in the valley
How can November ever turn to May?

###

Here is how I might render this in Englsh --

See, it's autumn, and what is green and has become gold,

See, it's autumn, and what blooms is gone.

And I believed it's always spring, 

And held in my hand all eternity.

   Oh falling leaves, 

   Oh fleeing days, 

   Oh, how will I wander,

   When a deep fog lies in my way.

The birds caw in my window, and the wind rattles,

Oh, how I would like to be gone from here, 

To a shore of green spring! 

The rain flies - a gallop of wild horses,

And whispers a secret:

Why do you wait for springtime 

When there are baskets full of gold?

   Oh falling leaves, 

   Oh fleeing days, 

   Oh, how will I wander,

   When a deep fog lies in my way.

                           ###



No comments:

Post a Comment

About this Blog

  If you are reading this blog please know that it is for my own use - mostly to be able to find songs that I like, and not for any commerci...