Monday, December 6, 2021

FOR YEARS I WALLOWED BY ITZIK MANGER

 Hanna Rovina, "the First Lady of Hebrew Theater," reads Itzik Manger's "For Years I Wallowed" in Tel Aviv, November 1969.


FOR YEARS I WALLOWED - Translated by Leonard Wolf


For years I wallowed about in the world,
Now I'm going home to wallow there.
With a pair of shoes and the shirt on my back,
And the stick in my hand that goes with me everywhere.


I'll not kiss your dust as that great poet did,
Though my heart, like his, is filled with song and grief
How can I kiss your dust? I am your dust.
And how, I ask you, can I kiss myself?


Still dressed in my shabby clothes
I'll stand and gape at the blue Kinneret
Like a roving prince who has found his blue
Though blue was in his dream when he first started.


I'll not kiss your blue, I'll merely stand
Silent as a shimenesre prayer myself.
How can I kiss your blue? I am your blue.
And how, I ask you, can I kiss myself?


Musing, I'll stand before your great desert,
And hear the camels' ancient tread as they
Sway with trade and Torah on their humps.
I'll hear the age-old hovering wander-song
That trembles over glowing sand and dies,
And then recalls itself and does not disappear.
I'll not kiss your sand. No, and ten times no.
How can I kiss your sand? I am your sand.
And how, I ask you, can I kiss myself?




כ' האָב זיך יאָרן געװאַלגערט אין דער פֿרעמד

                             

  כ'האָב זיך יאָרן  געװאַלגערט אין דער פֿרעמד

איצט פֿאָר איך זיך װאַלגערן אין דער הײם.

מיט אײן פּאָר שיך, אײן העמד אױפֿן לײַב ,
אין דער האַנט דעם שטעקן. װי קען איך זײַן אָן דעם?


כ'װעל נישט קושן דײַן שטױב װי יענער גרױסער פּאָעט,
כאָטש מײַן האַרץ איז אױך פֿול מיט געזאַנג און געװײן.
װאָס הײסט קושן דײַן שטױב? איך בין דײַן שטױב.
און װער קושט עס, איך בעט אײַך, זיך אַלײן?


כ'װעל שטײן פֿאַרגאַפֿט פֿאַר דעם כּנרת־בלאָ,
אין מײַנע בגדי־דלות אָנגעטאָן,
אַ פֿאַרװאָגלטער פּרינץ, װאָס האָט געפֿונען זײַן בלאָ,
און בלאָ איז זײַן חלום פֿון תּמיד אָן.


כ'װעל נישט קושן דײַן בלאָ, נאָר סתּם אַזױ
װי אַ שטילע שמונה־עשׂרה װעל איך שטײן
װאָס הײסט קושן דײַן בלאָ? איך בין דײַן בלאָ,
און װער קושט עס, איך בעט אײַך, זיך אַלײן?


כ'װעל שטײן פֿאַרטראַכט פֿאַר דײַן מדבר גרױס
און הערן די דורות־אַלטע קעמלטריט,
װאָס װיגן אױף זײערע הױקערס איבערן זאַמד
תּורה און סחורה, און דאָס אַלטע װאַנדערליד,
װאָס ציטערט איבער די זאַמדן הײס־צעגליט,
שטאַרבט אָפּ, דערמאָנט זיך און װיל קײנ מאָל נישט פֿאַרגײן.
כ'װעל נישט קושן דײַן זאַמד, נײן און צענ מאָל נײן.
װאָס הײסט קושן דײַן זאַמד? איך בין דײַן זאַמד,
און װער קושט עס, איך בעט אײַך, זיך אַלײן?

  

                          ###         




No comments:

Post a Comment

About this Blog

  If you are reading this blog please know that it is for my own use - mostly to be able to find songs that I like, and not for any commerci...