Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Unter Dayne Vayse Shterne Translated

Under your white starry heaven

Offer me your pale white hand.

All my words are flowing teardrops.

I would place them in your hand.

Gone the luster from their brightness,

Seen through morbid cellar view,
 –
And I no longer have my own space

To reflect them back to you. 

 My devoted God I offer

Everything that I possess.

As the fire that I suffer

Fills each fiery day I pass.

Only in the holes and cellars

With deadly rest my days I share.

I run higher – over spire

Searching where are you, oh where? 

 I am chased by phantom beings

Stairs and courtyards goad me too.

There I hang a broken bowstring –

And I sing once more to you:

Under your white starry heaven

Offer me your pale white hand.

All my words are flowing teardrops,

I would place them in your hand. 
-----------------
 

One of the most beautiful songs to have come out of the Vilna ghetto, 'Unter dayne vayse shtern' (Under your white stars) was written by the poet Avraham Sutzkever and set to music by Avrom Brudno.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About this Blog

  If you are reading this blog please know that it is for my own use - mostly to be able to find songs that I like, and not for any commerci...